Elaine W. Hughes Outstanding Sponsor Award
($500 and a plaque)
The Elaine W. Hughes Outstanding Sponsor Award and the Outstanding Regional Sponsor Awards are given annually to recognize Sponsors who give generously of their time, talent, and creativity to a local chapter. The awards recognize Sponsors and mentors who foster a spirit of scholarly exchange in the local chapter.
The recipient of the Elaine W. Hughes Outstanding Sponsor Award will receive a $500 check from Sigma Tau Delta and a commemorative plaque. The award is named in honor of Elaine W. Hughes, of the University of Montevallo, former Southern Regent, Vice President, and President of Sigma Tau Delta.
The recipients of the Outstanding Regional Sponsor Awards will receive a commemorative plaque and regional recognition. The awards are given to recognize a Sponsor from each region; all Sponsors not chosen for the Hughes Award will automatically be considered for the regional awards.
- Prior to nomination, the nominee must have served for three consecutive years as Sponsor of an active chapter.
- A nominee cannot have received the Hughes Award in the past three years.
- A nominee must not be serving as a member of the Board of Directors at the time of nomination.
- The Central Office will verify active chapter status.
- Judges will be the members of the Student Leadership Committee (Student Advisors and Student Representatives).
- Those Sponsors not chosen for the Hughes Award will automatically be considered for the Outstanding Regional Sponsor Awards. Chapter members need submit only one nomination letter.
- The winners of the Hughes Award and the Regional Sponsor Awards will be announced at the international convention in March.
- Chapter members may nominate their Sponsor by submitting a nomination letter. Each chapter may nominate only one Sponsor each year. Each chapter may only submit one letter of nomination. Chapters with more than one letter will not be considered for the award.
- The nomination letter, which should not exceed 1,000 words, must include the following information:
- statement describing the nominee's contributions as a Faculty Sponsor;
- the length and dates of service as a Chapter Sponsor and, if applicable, as a member of any Sigma Tau Delta regional or national committees (or Board);
- the size of the chapter and the number of English majors/minors in the college.
- Submit the letter of nomination by email:
- address the email to email@example.com;
- in the subject line, type OUTSTANDING SPONSOR AWARDS;
- ATTACH one copy of the nomination letter as a Word document (doc or docx) with the nominated Sponsor’s name (last name first) and the award as the title of the attachment.
Example: SmithMarySponsorAward.doc or docx
- All entries must be received by November 7, 2016.
- About Chapters
- Chapter/Regional Directory
- Getting Started/Quick Links
- Chapter Leadership
- Recruitment and Enrollment
- Induction Ceremonies
- Chapter Records
- Chapter Annual Report
- Chapter Life
- Chapter Awards
- Project Grants
- Joint NEHS Project Grants
- Write Away Chapter Store