Chapter Life: Writing and Publishing
Not surprisingly, writing and publishing opportunities are very important to many Sigma Tau Delta members. Chapters produce publications ranging from informal newsletters to sophisticated academic journals, and many chapters also help members prepare their work for submission to conferences and publications.
Conference and Journal Submissions
WORDY by Nature Submissions
Chapter Newsletters, Websites, and Social Media
Chapter Journals & Regional Publications
Other Writing Activities
Suggestions for Successful Writing and Publication Activities
Most undergraduate students are not prepared for or comfortable with the idea of presenting a paper or submitting their work to a publication, but doing so is a very good way for students to prepare for graduate school or professional writing careers. It also looks good on a resume. To encourage students to take advantage of writing and publishing opportunities, many chapters offer scheduled workshops, peer editing sessions, and practice readings to bolster student confidence and to ensure their work is as polished as possible before submission. Some Chapter Sponsors require members to attend such meetings and to get their work approved before they may submit to a Sigma Tau Delta publication or the convention.
WORDYbyNature.org is the official blog of Sigma Tau Delta. All members and Sponsors are encouraged to subscribe to the blog for information and advice about chapter life. In addition, members and Sponsors are invited to submit articles about interesting chapter activities, personal convention stories, and other appropriate topics for publication on the blog. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Many chapters publish newsletters, websites, Facebook pages, and blogs intended to communicate with other chapter members, administration, and parents. Such publications help keep members informed and connected, and provide an excellent, low-pressure way for members to practice writing for these various formats. Sigma Tau Delta even offers special awards for chapter blogs and websites.
Some chapters and/or schools publish literary journals showcasing work from their campus or region. Such journals not only give members an opportunity to be published, they also can provide experience with editing and publication. A departmental or campus journal can help gain support for and awareness of the chapter and provide a voice for student members. A regional journal can make the chapter more visible to the larger Society and bring prestige to the school.
Publications that accept submissions from other Sigma Tau Delta chapters can be listed in the Regional Publications section of the Society website. Contact the Central Office to inquire about listing your publication. Some publications may be eligible for regional funding. (Contact your Regent for more information.)
Literary arts journals produced or sponsored by chapters may also be eligible for Sigma Tau Delta's Outstanding Literary Arts awards.
There are a wide range of other writing or publishing activities in which chapters can engage, such as hosting writing workshops, recording and publishing oral histories, or inviting experts to speak about careers in publishing.
- Make sure you have enough committed, active members to carry out the necessary work. These projects require a good deal of planning, cooperation, and time.
- Develop a plan and timeline for project implementation, including target dates and persons responsible for completing each task.
- Work closely with faculty and department staff. Providing writing and publishing opportunities may require readers, judges, and/or editors.
- Estimate project expenses. Obtain price quotes from local printers as well as campus sources.
- Refer to Chapter Life: Fundraising for ideas and suggestions for successful fundraising.
- Prepare submission guidelines carefully, allowing sufficient time to advertise the call for papers and to obtain a sufficient number of responses.
- Ensure that your project is consistent with campus rules and standards for publishing.
- About Chapters
- Chapter/Regional Directory
- Getting Started/Quick Links
- Chapter Leadership
- Recruitment and Enrollment
- Induction Ceremonies
- Chapter Records
- Chapter Annual Report
- Chapter Life
- Chapter Awards
- Project Grants
- Joint NEHS Project Grants
- Write Away Chapter Store